whirlwind.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

These past couple of days have been a complete whirlwind. On Tuesday evening after work, Brian and I were sitting at home trying to decide what to have for dinner.... Aaron & Kathy stopped by the house to pick up some stuff they had left and brought us flowers!! :))))) Definitely cheered us up. And how thoughtful are they?? We are blessed with truly incredible friends. Everything had just been so crazy... all of the confusion and emotion with my grandma.

We were sitting around and chatting with Aaron & Kathy when my dad called. My grandma had just passed. I honestly don't even know what I felt in that moment... relief? sadness? regret? I was mad at myself that we weren't there. We had been there every day for the past week and on the one day that we decide to stay home, it happens. I know that doesn't really matter, but it still sucks. We left the house immediately and thus the whirlwind continues.

Things had been crazy enough already, visiting grandma every day, trying to keep her house maintained, going through paperwork, trying to keep her comfortable, trying to control our emotions... but now things were about to get even worse. That night was basically just crying. Everyone in our family was there and we just cried and sat with each other and talked. It was much needed, but very hard nonetheless. This morning we headed there right away and had a very busy day ahead of us.... and a very emotional one at that. We spent the day meeting with the funeral parlor, talking to the priest, picking out caskets and prayer cards, writing her obituary, shopping for a nice outfit for her to wear, going through photos and creating photo boards, making slideshows, choosing songs to play at the wake, the list goes on and on... and it is very emotionally draining. We just got home and now we're trying to get ourselves ready... getting clothes and everything else ready to go. It's going to be a hard couple of days.... but ultimately we are happy that she is in a better place now and at peace. She had a wonderful long life filled with lots of love and that's what we have to remember.




Thank you all for your wonderful thoughts and prayers. Times like these force you to be grateful for everyone and everything that you have in your life, and that is a wonderful place to be.

Comments

kari said...

I'm so sorry Chelsea. My prayers are with you and your family.

Sarah said...

I'm so sorry about your grandmother, Chelsea. It sounds like she was a wonderful woman who was very loved. I'll be thinking of you.

leah @maritalbless said...

Oh Chelsea, my heart quickened and my throat closed up reading this post. I'm so sorry you were unable to be with her, but can only imagine she knew your love. I'll be praying for you and your family during this time.

Joi said...

I'm so sorry, Chelsea.

There's no words I can say that seem right.

You and your family will be in my thoughts.